3.0
Additional Fees

So I've purchased 2 items on Mercari.One was a Victoria's Secret tote bag and the other a Victoria's Secret hooded sweatshirt.

The hoodie was described as "new with tag". The seller was non-responsive for 4 days after purchase and I actually sent Mercari customer service a message asking to cancel. It was 2 more days before they responded and at that point the seller had shipped. As shown in the attached photo, this hoodie was clearly not new although the tag was attached.

It had stains throughout and was pilled from wash. The paper tag was warped and faded as if the seller washed the hoodie with the tag still attached. I paid $51 for this hoodie. I messaged Mercari customer service to initiate a return.

I got a generic response from them that they are experiencing a high volume of requests and apologize for the delay. 3 more days passed and I was getting harassed by the seller to rate (sellers don't get paid until rated). Mercari also sent me a notification that they were going to rate for me if I didn't do it within the 3 day time span. So, I figured I needed to rate her honestly to warn other buyers before Mercari automatically gave her a positive.

Of course, as soon as I rated her, Mercari responded to my return request that because I rated her the transaction was complete and the return request was denied. How convenient. The second item I purchased was the tote bag. The seller described it as "like new" with "no flaws".

It arrived in absolutely filthy, disgusting condition. Nasty, crusty orange and red stains throughout the inside. The inner lining was coming apart from the bag and looked as if she tried to glue it back into place. The outside of the bag was bubbled and warped.

I contacted the seller and she blamed the post office. She insisted none of these damages were there when she shipped. There was NO WAY this happened in transit. The outside packaging was in perfect condition with no signs of damage.

She even had the bag wrapped up in plastic inside of the package, so how could all of these stains magically appear from nowhere?? I contacted Mercari customer service to initiate the return. Long story short, it went the same way as it did with the hoodie. I had used PayPal to pay the $20 for the tote bag and currently have a case open with them.

Just today, I escalated the case through PayPal.I'm out $51 for the hoodie but hopefully I can get my $20 back for the bag.

This person wrote the review because of poor customer service of mercari marketplace from Mercari and attached photo s. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Mercari to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Mercari for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Mercari?

Comments

A similar thing happened to me the item came not as described and I rated the person too quick. I opened a case with PayPal has anyone done this and recieved a refund successfully?

VSShopper
to Anonymous #1380396

Yes I did end up getting a refund through PayPal.

You can initiate a charge back via your credit card or your bank account if it's been less than 90 days from date of sale. Sounds like the seller with the NWT item probably got the item wet, dumpster dived for it or used a tagging gun to reattach a tag to the clothing (seen this trick on eBay!).